Monday, November 25, 2013

HOLLAND- Amsterdam

I was sitting with Yu one night trying to work out what I should do for the next 2 weeks before my next contiki, and he mentioned that I was only 3 hours on the train to AMSTERDAM!!! Well wasn't long after that that I had my ticket booked and hostel organised!!
As soon as I arrived I loved it, the streets are full of lights and has a chilled out festive feel (Christmas decorations help and of course the famous marajuana scene here). I walked for about 8 hours the first day just around the city losing track of time and bought a warmer coat as I was freezing, it's a tad cold around these parts. I think I've got myself organised re-warm clothes even being hot sometimes, though it's only 8 degrees at the moment. When I get to Berlin and Prague it's expected to be about 3 degrees!! I hope it snows..

Beside the weed 'coffee shops' and prostatutes this city has so much to offer, so much art, museums and history. I saw the torture museum and the sex museum, I missed the Van Gogh and Amsterdam museum as they are so expensive and I am getting a little over seeing museums after 6 months. 
The Christmas markets are in full swing here with cute little pop up huts selling amazing sweets and snacks such as the best waffles, bratwurst, chocolates, mald wine bars etc. I am so glad I am here for winter as it feels so cozy and festive, I think there are less crowds now as well.
I met up with 2 guys from the contiki trip for a day accidentally running into them at my favourite outdoor pop up cafe. We went on a free walking tour which ended conveniently at the Anne Frank museum, which I had to go to for mum but would have anyway, it was so interesting to see the actual house and the original cupboard that was their secret doorway to the attic, I want to read the diary now.
Michael and I went to the Heineken museum which was a lot of fun giving you some history but also a few fun things to play with and also drink!! Learnt a lot about beer and tasted the best one of my life, though after an hour in the museum your really hanging out for a beer so anything would taste good.
Then went to an icebar, and walked home via the main red light district! Very eye opening with girls in the windows 'for sale'. The guide from the walking tour said it is legal here as a means to stop trafficking and pimps and allows the women to work in a safer way, but still so sad.
I booked a flight to Berlin paying the extra bit of cash to get there in an hour instead of sitting in a strangers car for 8 hours! Wanting a bit of luxury now after so long, maybe contiki spoiled me a bit, but I am also getting over dorm rooms with people coming in at all hours and getting up at different times, there's hardly ever a decent amount of quiet time, and there was a cat on my bed which freaked me out.

Anyway pretty glad I came to Amsterdam it's a beautiful city and I will most defiantly return.

4 comments:

Dibbo said...

You look snug as a bug in that red coat!

Em said...

Amsterdam sounds great! The sex and torture museums are something different that sound interesting.. You look very rugged up! The opposite of what we are having!

Mum xxx said...

Amsterdam is another place I would love to return to - as you know for one reason to go to the Anne Frank museum - glad you found it interesting. The book is waiting for you here!...and I'll tell you what we got up to in Amsterdam when you come home!

Sue & Andrew's Adventures said...

...and I'll tell you what I got up to in Amsterdam as well!!