Saturday, November 02, 2013

Cordoba

Well Cordoba ended up being an interesting time, and very fitting to being Halloween... I wanted to stay in Seville but i'd already booked accommodation and a ride to Cordeba. Arrived with a nice welcome sign but woke that morning covered in BITES!!! Yep bed bugs, backpacker hell, and itch like crazy!! I felt like they were all over me and couldn't sleep for the next few nights, I am still paranoid about them.
The hostel was very apologetic moving me to a private room and giving me a night for free as well as washing all of my stuff. Also the owner kept making me free coffees, so I guess I got something good out of it. BUT I didn't see much of the city as I stayed in the room a lot, while my clothes were being washed, and was extremely itchy and covered in what I think was camomile lotion. I got a few things organised ie jobs for when I get home and looking at different courses. 
The Roman Bridge of Cordeba
I did however get up early one morning to visit the Mezquita the Great Mosque of Córdoba. It is a medieval Islamic mosque that was converted into a Catholic Christian cathedral, as is the case with most of the important buildings in Spain.

A lot of people I spoke to were in Cordeba only to see the Mezquita. It was free to see at 8:30am so of course I went then along with quite a lot of other money saving people. A pretty impressive building with the classic signs of an old mosque, ie arch ways, arabic engravings, star shaped windows, an orange orchid and water fountains out the front. Also the tell tail signs of Catholic intervention, a bell tower out the front and many many crosses.

3 comments:

Mum xxx said...

Sounds like lots of fun having all those bites. I guess you've been lucky and even bed bugs can be chalked up to experience!

Em said...

How horrible! Just another experience of being a backpacker I suppose.. :)

Dibbo said...

I thought I have already commented on these two blogs but it must be that I have heard the news already via Facebook. I now feel itchy just thinking of bed bugs. Or is it sea lice from the Merewether baths after my swim today????