Friday, September 20, 2013

Pamukkale- 'cotton castle'

Hoped on the night bus again to Pamukkale a small town with nothing much going on except for its mountain containing 'hot springs and travertines, terraces of carbonate minerals left by the flowing water'. Was an interesting sight to see, the rocks look like snow and you definitely need your sunnies. I was feeling pretty wrecked from the night bus as usual so slept quite a lot then headed up the mountain to check it out, paying the 20 lira.
You have to take your shoes off and walk up the mountain through flowing water, also walking through the crowds of tourists all taking photos of themselves posing like models, sitting in the canal blocking off the water with their big bums, I had just as much fun people watching, some a little ridiculous. 
There are also old ruins around the site and an amphitheatre which I was excited to see after studying theatre history. 
I only walked around for a few hours had a quick dip in the mineral pool, and headed back to the hostel to use their pool and watch a movie in bed. I can't handle the night buses!! Also I wouldn't recommend Pamukkale its a huge tourist trap, having to pay to enter then pay for the individual places inside!! ALSO most of the pools are empty as the water has been directed to the town for their water supply. I think its a waste of time and money, BUT 'learning money' again for me, I don't think i'll be booking tours like this anymore though no regrets as I am learning what not to do and what kind of travelling I like.

2 comments:

Em said...

You'll be an expert traveller after this! Miss you Kez!

Mum xxx said...

You are sounding all grown up and sensible! I must say I'm learning a lot about Turkey and would love to go there!