Friday, September 27, 2013

Cruisin' the Mediterranean

The route 
The last part of my organised trip around Turkey was cruising the Mediterranean along the south coast of the country for 4 days. There were 8 passengers, a mix of a young Columbian couple, a middle aged American couple, two young Malaysian girls on holidays, a single older Kiwi man and me, a lone Auzzie chick. An unusual mix however we all got along fine by the end of the trip, though I was wanting a bit more of a party boat with like minded young travellers, however still a great time. 
Stopped here to see the castle
The boat stopped at several spots each day and we were able to swim in the crystal clear waters as well as cruise along looking out at the amazing shores. One of the best parts was sleeping up on deck each night on the sun beds, though we all had our own spacious enough rooms with own bathroom, it was too hot and stuffy down there and also I felt sea sick being there even for a quick bathroom break. The captain and his wife would be up very early about 4-5am to take off to the next spot and have breakfast ready for us by 8am, SO we would all wake up when the boat engines started and the cold wind picked up as we took off, THOUGH the sunrise was absolutely incredible making it so worth it (would have been pretty romantic with a certain someone).
We stopped at a town called Kas for shopping though extremely expensive, I got a 4L Turkish coffee, this would be the ideal place to scuba dive with so many PADI courses being advertised let alone the amazing clear waters.
Kas dock
Surprisingly didn't actually see many fish but saw and swam with a few turtles
Boat life
I could easily retire and do this every day though I would need to somehow get over my sea sickness, I had to take tablets daily and lay down every time I went below decks. The best part of this trip though was the FOOD!!! The wife/cook had a gift when it came to traditional recipes, I don't know how she whipped up such amazing meals in her tiny kitchen and in such little time. We were all very well fed and stuffed ourselves every meal, with veges and yoghurt dishes as well as fresh fish we saw them catch. One night the young boy went spear fishing in his khaki wet suit and torch, I wanted to join him.
Captain cooking a BBQ drinking a bottle of Rhaki (Turkish Ouzo)
Butterfly valley
Jumping from the boat
This was an amazing experience and something I would do again, though I would have liked to have actually seen the sails up and learned how to sail, theres always next time...
Sunset on the last night
FETHIYE
We docked and said our goodbyes in Fethiye a fishing town with a lot of tourism and souvenir shops, though so close to RHODES Greece!! Where I will be catching a ferry to tomorrow morning (on map), it is so funny to me that I can catch a ferry to another country. I have been feeling sick since I got off the boat  as have some of the other people from the boat who are staying in my hotel, just need to get used to not rocking. Turkey has been amazing and I would recommend it to anyone, a country I hope to return to, BUT for now the rest of the world awaits.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Just caught up on all your blogs.. Turkey looks sensational!!

Steve said...

AND I'm the first to comment... Suckers!

Em said...

Well aren't you just living it up!! Sailing on the Mediterranean!! Sounds fantastic! Turkey and the Mediterranean are very high on my list of places I want to go! So jealous!

Mum xxx said...

How beautiful - you look very relaxed. Food sounds fantastic - keep on enjoyin'! xxx

Dibbo said...

Finally able to comment on your site! Getting a bit confused between what I see on the blog and facebook. PLEASE don't publish in weird colours as I cant read the writing. I will definitely be booking a sailing boat around Greeece/Turkey. looks pretty special.