| My Istanbul bunk, getting used to uncomfortable single beds |
Bellow is the beach they were supposed to go, easy to access the land, it's easy to see how they coves would be mistaken. Though there are many stories as to why the Anzacs landed too far down, some saying the Britts told them the wrong thing.
The site has many many cemeteries which are sad to walk through as so many depict the age at late teens and early 20s MY AGE! Some dying within an hour. Bellow is Simpson from Simpson and his Donkey's grave. Yes I got a bit teary at one stage mainly when I saw the ages.
Bellow is the site where the Anzac ceremonies are held each year, though no guided tours are allowed then. Anzac Day I've heard is very touristy and packed full of people, not actually that great.
These graves have 2 dates on them as the battle lasted so many days they have no way of knowing when they died. The armies agreed to pause the battle to allow them to collect their dead.
Just so many names, men killed over such little time for not a great reason.
Bellow is one of what is left of the once 2 meter deep trenches! Apparently during the last part of the battle before evactuation, the trenches filled with water after heavy rainfall then it got to bellow 0 temperatures and the men were stuck in the freezing water for days before the call was made to leave. The Anzacs and Turks would throw and share chocolates, cigarettes and letters etc between trenches showing mate ship before going into battle to kill each other!
Bellow is the Turkish cemetery, it was interesting hearing the story from the other point of view as well, they also lost thausands of men, of course and have memorial days to remember.
I enjoyed the day having loved it in history at school and of course the movie. I learned more about the events not just the Anzac cove landing, but also other battles to take over summits etc which all failed eventually! The armies were just too weak and small as well as organisation and communication being so poor.
The site has many many cemeteries which are sad to walk through as so many depict the age at late teens and early 20s MY AGE! Some dying within an hour. Bellow is Simpson from Simpson and his Donkey's grave. Yes I got a bit teary at one stage mainly when I saw the ages.
Bellow is the site where the Anzac ceremonies are held each year, though no guided tours are allowed then. Anzac Day I've heard is very touristy and packed full of people, not actually that great.
| My age |
Just so many names, men killed over such little time for not a great reason.
Bellow is one of what is left of the once 2 meter deep trenches! Apparently during the last part of the battle before evactuation, the trenches filled with water after heavy rainfall then it got to bellow 0 temperatures and the men were stuck in the freezing water for days before the call was made to leave. The Anzacs and Turks would throw and share chocolates, cigarettes and letters etc between trenches showing mate ship before going into battle to kill each other!
Bellow is the Turkish cemetery, it was interesting hearing the story from the other point of view as well, they also lost thausands of men, of course and have memorial days to remember.
I enjoyed the day having loved it in history at school and of course the movie. I learned more about the events not just the Anzac cove landing, but also other battles to take over summits etc which all failed eventually! The armies were just too weak and small as well as organisation and communication being so poor.
| Laaa!! and Lone Pine!!! |
| Brewed some amazing Turkish coffee I bought at the spice bazar Istanbul YUM! |
4 comments:
Ha La! Nice runners too! Did you see Mel Gibson?
Yeh I saw him, he wanted to kiss me but I said no I had a boyfriend sos Mel baby! Thanks I think my runners are sexy
La, ha ha.
I think I'll watch the movie again now. Glad you went!
Post a Comment