Well I've finally arrived in Europe (though still half in Asia) and couldn't be more excited to be here even though the jet lag is still catching up. I chose to come to Turkey first as its close from Vietnam and Nina had told me so much about it. It took me a long time to get here, 5 hours to Doha in Qatar Saudi Arabia where I had an 8 hour layover in the middle of the night hardly slept before another flight to Istanbul, time difference of about 7 hours, so was feeling rather exhausted and slept for a good 14 hours once there!!
1st day I walked around getting a feel of the place, I'm staying in Istanbul Hostel $15 a night (have to get used to 'normal' prices after Asia) which is in Sultanahmet the old city with amazing architecture and palaces! Walked around what I imagined to be Jasmine from Aladdin's palace, very impressive, you can imagine it in full swing back in the day.
 |
| Blue mosque |
 |
| TOURIST!!! |
The food is pretty cheap here have enjoyed a few Kababs for about 5 Turkish lira TRY $2.70 and of course wasted no time in getting some Turkish Delight.
Yes Lonely Planet does sat 'reconsider your need to travel' to Turkey due to the high amount of riots and police brawls 'started on 28 May 2013, initially to contest the urban development plan for Istanbul's Taksim Gezi Park.Subsequently, supporting protests and strikes took place across Turkey protesting a wide range of concerns, at the core of which were issues of freedom of the press, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, and the government's encroachment on Turkey's secularism' wikipedia.
 |
| Witnessed 2 riots but kept my distance, no violence |
I was in Taksim which is a big shopping street with a festive feel, a lot of food carts etc I needed to buy some runners to try and help my foot as its getting really sore and I can't walk more then an hour without having to sit or limp! Have got some advice from my massage teacher to strap it in a way for Planter Facetious, together with my new runners it is helping a lot, though not a complete cure.
Have also seen an amazing Palace very impressive and I think its just the 1st of many European style buildings that i'll see, I wish I could remember more from my uni subject Aspects of Design where we learned about this sore of thing.
Had a relaxing day sleeping in and enjoying the free breakfast and talking to fellow travellers. Have also organised with the travel agent at the hostel where to go in Turkey and an Itinerary. Went for a walk around the city to see and smell the Spice Bazaar (spice market) where I could taste a lot of Baklava and Turkish Delight and bought some Turkish coffee! (how I will brew it is another question though at the moment it is making my bag smell amazing).
 |
| Have actually been drinking instant coffee, and its not that bad!!! |
 |
| Having pomegranate juice enjoying the sights of Istanbul |
 |
| Spice Bazaar |
Back to the room to relax and write this blog, listening to the Muslim prayers being projected over the city from the mosques. I might watch Aladdin later and go to bed as I have an early morning start to see Gallipoli tomorrow, very excited!!
2 comments:
So glad you are enjoying it. Have you met up with any fellow travellers? Whast a different experience from Asia. PLEASE KEEP SAFE!!!!
I want to go to Turkey!! It sounds so awesome! The bazaar, food, palaces, food!
Post a Comment