Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Subglotic Stenosis

I’ve always thought I had asthma, and have been very breathless worsening over the past few years, especially during the 1st pregnancy. I was forever seeing my GP and changing scripts for asthma, which did nothing! I happened to get some sort of throat infection and the breathing got worse 5/2/21, it lasted 4 months so I went to a different GP who ordered an asthma test which came back negative! She referred me to an ENT surgeon who was quicker to get into then a respiratory dr! The throat cleared up but I kept the appointment thankfully, as he diagnosed me as soon as he heard me talking, with a SUBGLOTIC STENOSIS!
It mainly impacts women (98%) and just two in a million are diagnosed each year. Happens at peak hormonal times, pregnancy and menopause! I ticked all the boxes, and finally felt like I was being heard! It’s not normal to get so out of breathe just strolling to the corner shop and back, when Damien, the ex smoker was fine! It’s not asthma! It can be caused by immune related problems or being scared during a surgery and or tube nicking the throat. However mine is unknown.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Uw3a_xiLPUo9utHLBH1Z6BFjae6mxZYo
The Dr knew we were trying for a baby so he booked me in asap to have a balloon dilation December 2021. It helped for a few weeks… I was 7mm before surgery and he got me to 12mm. But it doesn’t last. I fell pregnant again and at about 8weeks I started getting a “flare up” and the breathing got pretty bad, I can’t take the bins out to the road with out gasping for air and i canceled my gym membership. I’ve seen Dr Leavers the ENT again and he put me on steroids and a nebuliser, which helped a lot, though as soon as I stopped them it all came back. He is talking very closely with my obstetrician Dr Bothma, in case we need to have another balloon dilation while pregnant, most likely the week before the wedding. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Y4NJjXNj4PtpfOXf-LOjVFsf9rSoYS3D

3 comments:

Em said...

Hope this is an answer and solution to everything and you can sort it along with the pregnancy!

Dibbo said...

Hopefully (a) this last dilation gets you past the wedding and through pregnancy and (b) you can get a permanent fix soon!

Mum xxx said...

So sorry this has to happen to you. Hopefully you'll get over this after pregnancy...