Monday, April 06, 2020

COVID-19

And just like that life as we knew it changed!
Watching as my business is told to shut
What was meant for the wedding became Iso drinks
Essential supplies as the gyms close down
I didn't go to work the Monday after Ruby's 10th birthday party, not because I was still traumatised but because it was illegal! The corona virus started late last year in China, and too be honest I hadn't really heard much about it until about late feb 2020. Things changed daily/hourly and we were glued to the news everyday with updates of what was illegal and if we were allowed to work. The week before I closed it was getting more scary to massage and I found myself trying to treat client's neck face down as much as possible to avoid being breathed on. Cleaning became extreme! We placed signs ups to reject anyone who had signs of the flu or had been overseas within the last 14 days, mainly to cover me for being sued if I was to spread it! There were so many unknowns from us as well as government... I did feel more comfortable once I decided to pull the pin on work, a few days earlier then it was actually declared officially illegal (many conflicting points of view on the wording from government and massage associations ie are we allied health etc). I am writing this in week 5 of not working!

Selling stock on buy swap and sell, my new shop front, contactless pick up 
 I hate it! Being cooped up at home, and realise how much I need people and to get out and about, and a routine! Yes I have been getting a lot of stuff organised ie finally painting the interior walls, it feels so much brighter, fresh and modern. Still a lot to do however I am enjoying researching decor ideas. I am currently painting the end room ready to make it my clinic!


Still undecided to cover the bricks. Glad to have a cohesive colour pallet now


We gave our 2 weeks notice at Yambil Street clinic which of course had to close down, as Bri and I were the only ones holding it afloat. I am grateful that my business is very easy to move and fits in a small cupboard at home. It's not ideal to have clients come to the house however it is going to save a lot in rent and hopefully wont be forever. I am giving it another week or 2 before working again, mainly to give me time to get it organised and to keep an eye on the ever changing laws and out breaks. There is a flattening of the curve at the moment however I believe people are being too quick to want to get back to normal life and there may be another surge... With my low immune system and Damien's ex smoking and previous pneumonia lungs we are in a high risk category, not to mention Mum, John, Myles and Tony (being stuck n the nursing home, no one is allowed in or out).

We cancelled our wedding before the announcement that weddings had to be kept to 5 and funerals to 10! We just didn't see it going ahead with travel restrictions starting to come in and our photographer was in New Zealand 3 weeks before the event (required to self isolate for 2 weeks when coming back into the country). We got most of our money back! Just some deposits, small fees, and of course wedding dress, suits and decor, we are down a few grand BUT we will still use some of the things hopefully at the end of the year in a smaller ceremony and low key BBQ celebration. We spent the would be wedding day at home not doing much! Had a fire pit and tacos with brisket supplied by our caterer as this is what we were going to have at the wedding. I was upset at the start of the day as the sun was shining, however as the day went on it got cold and windy, making me feel better that we would have been blown away anyway.
Was going to be the wedding logo and slogan





LIFE IN ISO
Besides cleaning, decorating, painting, home schooling (Ruby has enjoyed learning on the computer though I think the novelty will wear off, and during the school holidays she has had A LOT of screen time, putting her in a mood, however it is hard to not let her on the screens getting her out of my hair, catch 22). School is likely to go back in phases in week 3 next term, ie one day a week and slowly increasing, we all need this!

 
Bear hunt around town for kids walks 
Was recruited by Damien, got in trouble for being on the phone. 
I started out being really motivated to exercise everyday signing up for a cheaper gym membership workout from home, with my trainer on a zoom call! However it is so much harder to keep it up and not having a nice bouncy gym floor hurts!
 
Sneaky illegal "work" Easter trip to the farm for a bonfire
The girls treated us for our what would have been our honey moon
Zoom calls have been pretty frequent with the family at Easter and Friday wine chats with friends. Also my course has been postponed! We have started Friday zoom chats to keep us acceptable  and get back into the assignments! Though the practical requirements will have to wait. Very frustrating to not be able to just graduate! 
Dibbo's survivors  
The Heaths 
Friday drinks on zoom
.
.
.
Great summery from facebook:
April 3, 2020
-Petrol prices were as low as $0.89/L and Diesel $1.18/L
-School started holidays early and many kids have been home schooled for weeks now
-Self-distancing measures on the rise.
-Tape on the floors at supermarkets and others to help distance shoppers 1.5m from each other.
-Limited number of people inside shops, therefore, lineups outside the shop doors.
-Non-essential shops and businesses, like nail salons, massage parlours and chiropractors mandated closed.
-Parks, trails, entire cities locked up in Europe and the USA and Aus
- Entire sports seasons cancelled. Like AFL, NRL, NBA, ALL sports!
-Concerts, tours, festivals, entertainment events - cancelled.
-Weddings, family celebrations, holiday gatherings - cancelled. Funerals limited to a specific number and being live streamed.
-No masses, churches are all closed. During Easter season.
-No gatherings of 500 or more, then 100 or more, then 10 or more, now 2 or more!
-Don't socialize with anyone outside of your home.
-Children's playgrounds are closed.
-We are to distance from each other, 1.5m
-Shortage of masks, gowns, gloves for our front-line workers in the USA
-Shortage of ventilators for the critically ill in Europe and the USA
-Panic buying has been happening for weeks and we have to hunt for toilet paper, disinfecting supplies, paper towel, laundry soap, and there’s no hand sanitizer.
-Shelves are bare. Hard to find beef, eggs, bread, flour and pasta. Sending one family member to shop.
-Manufacturers, distilleries and other businesses switch their lines to help make visors, masks, hand sanitizer and PPE.
-State Governments have closed the borders to all non-essential travel. 14 days of Quarantine applies for those few still coming in from overseas
-Fines are established for breaking the rules.
-Stadiums and recreation facilities open up overseas for the overflow of Covid-19 patients. Wimbledon has been cancelled this year.
-Big industries help make more ventilators, & more masks for hospitals.
-Press conferences daily from the Prime Minister and the Premier. Daily updates on new cases, recoveries, and deaths.
-Government stimulus packages to help the economy and financial incentives to stay home. Free childcare for those who must go to work.
-People wearing masks and gloves outside.
- 1 million cases confirmed worldwide
This is the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic, declared March 11th, 2020.

3 comments:

Dibbo1957 said...

Pretty hectic still Kez even tho in lockdown! And that's an owl not a bear ha ha.

Em said...

Such a weird, major, mind-blowing event to be part of!!!Great excuse for you to get all those little jobs done. I think there's going to be a few people going crazy!

Mum xxx said...

Such a great summary for future reading. So weird that we are actually living through it now. So well written Kez. xx