Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pai in Love

Have you ever to a place that you instantly know you belong and feel completely that it is your home? This this the feeling we all had when we arrived in Pai!! It was a random decision to go to Pai after being told that it was nice by passing travellers, so we did a bit of hostel/train ticket shifting and were on a bus to Pai. It was a very windy trip down the mountain however a much worthwhile journey, like I said within 10minutes of walking out onto the main drag 'walking street' we knew it would be hard to leave. 
Arriving in Pai
We found ourselves a beautiful bar and plonked with our bags just in time for happy hour cocktails, this bar would soon become my favourite place in Pai. The boys walked around looking for a place to stay while we ended up sitting in the bar for 5-8 hours, some leaving to enjoy the pool at yet another new hotel. Finally we all went back to the hotel but only to change and head back to Edible Jazz.
The next day we hired some more motorbikes, being much more aware as nearly everyone in Pai are walking around with bandages/crutches and limping due to motorbike crashes!! The roads around Pai are just cement paths and there are a lot of inexperienced people driving around, there are signs saying 'don't be a statistic, wear a helmet' which of course I did. It is such a happy place, everyone is smiling and saying hello 'sawadee ka (for girls)/kop (for boys)', I got really into trying to learn the language. Everything is beautiful and lushesly green there is so much to look at I was driving slowly mainly to take it all in. Getting petrol is a bit interesting at these little self serve tankers that sing to you when you tank is full.

Just driving around the outskirts is relaxing, we found a canyon look out area, saw many little villages, farms, huts, rice farms, elephants and tourists. While up at the canyon I realised I'd left my phone out in my bike and ran back to get it as did Barbara with her key in the bike! Thankfully all was ok, but it makes you realise what a great place Pai is, you felt like you could trust anyone even the tourists as the place just has an aura around it making everything good and peaceful. It is a very hippy town and there are quite a few characters and the odd whiff of herbal substances.

Getting petrol
After two nights at the posh hotel paying way too much we looked for something with a little more character, the boys set off to stay at a fishing hut while the 3 girls set up in a cute little hostel dorm hut. We grew to love the place and found it and the people amazingly welcoming and peaceful, giving us anything and instantly welcoming us as one of their mates. The bar felt more like mates sitting in the lounge room. I was told you get so comfortable feeling like its your kitchen that you forget to pay, which happened to me, though everyone is so chilled and no one worries about that, mostly they're honest and come back the next day to pay. We were invited to drinks at our hostel with them while they played and sang, just like any mates practising the guitar, not the best but you love it anyway because they are giving it a go.

Once I found my favourite shop I was so loyal to it and ended up having breakfast mostly at 'Whynot' cafe sitting there for hours, drinking at Edible Jazz where we became mates with bar staff and went out with them on our last night, my massage place for regular thai massage which are incredible, iv'e never had a masseuse know exactly where I need it as much as these women, not to mention it is an experience as they pull, push and stretch you in the most unlikely positions.

Weather was not on our side however this did not stop us from loving Pai and all swearing we'll return, you need a good 2 months there to be able to do all of the activities that I was too relaxed to par take in. Ie yoga, meditation, volunteer coffee plantation, building houses etc etc I just have to return to the most chilled place iv'e ever been to...

And now I am sitting on a bus for the 30 odd hour trip to Koh Tao, my poor bum...
we spend a lot of time like this in taxis

3 comments:

Dibbo said...

Sweet. Did you get any tips from the local massagers?

Mum xxx said...

That sounds so great - your writing really describes it well. I can see you going there again!

Em said...

Sounds very relaxing!