Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Vienna- If it doesn't snow soon i'll eat my hat

On the way to Vienna we stopped off at this church thats decorated with human skeletons, some interesting shapes and designs with the bones. Apparently some of Jesus's ashes are scattered here so it was a privilege to have your bones placed here people even paying for the right.
Once in Vienna we headed out for a short walk to check out the main biuldings before being let loose into the city. This Contiki trip was good as it gave you a lot of free time to see what was most important to you though giving you a bit of structured schedule. First stop was a SWAROVSKI CRYSTAL shop! Even the shop was shiny though extremely expressive, nice to look at. One of the girls is studying psych and wanted to see the Freud museum, I was up for anything and thought mum would like it if I went so tagged along with her. Was pretty cool to see where Freud worked and the original furniture. We spent a little too long at lunch just watching the SNOW fall outside while sipping on hot vege soup! We ended up running extremely late for the bus, getting lost running around the streets in the snow, we opted to take a taxi, though the bus ended up being around the corner. Unfortunately one of the girls ran off to stop the bus while we payed and got lost so she missed the Schnapps museum, we made it there just in time, puffing...
Don't let the blue sky deceive you, IT'S FREEZING 
Swarovski shop window display
It's snowing!
Next stop was the Schnapps museum! A bit of history first then on to the tasting room. The milky ones were amazing then it went up and up in alcohol content the last one being absinth (Marylyn Manson's favourite brand). I regret not buying the GOLD Schnapps, it was a sweet strong liqueur with bits of gold floating in it, would have been fun for New Years.
Back to the hotel to sleep it off a little and get dressed up for Mozart concert, when in Vienna. Everything in Vienna is posh, its all about classical music, crystals, good coffee and being grand and rich. We had a nice dinner in a posh restaurant full of chandeliers and waiters in tail coats. Then on to the concert. John would have really liked it, with a selection of Mozart symphonies accompanied with opera singers, and ballet dancers, I even recognised a few. After being posh and sophisticated we went out to a pub to celebrate the last night for some of the travellers.
Bad quality as I was sneaking the pics with my phone

3 comments:

Dibbo said...

Did you do any waltzing????

Em said...

You must be becoming very cultured.. Did you get put on house arrest for being late to the bus like in USA?

Mum xxx said...

Glad you went to visit Freud's house. when I was there I was excited to think I was treading the same steps as the great man himself!I loved Vienna - now I realise it was because I'm so KULTCHERD!