We arrived in Prague with a few hours to relax before heading out, there was an included dinner however I skipped it to meet up with EMMA who was in town! She randomly told me she was coming to Europe a few weeks ago and we were trying to work out a way to meet up, she ended up staying an extra night in Prague to see me. Emma and her friend met me at the main square which was full of christmas markets and the biggest-best christmas tree ever! Of course we got stuck into the Gluiwein straight away and the traditional food, potatoes, potatoes, potatoes! It was a little foggy which made the lights coming from the cathedral a little spooky though the atmosphere of christmas markets are always so festive and get you so excited for christmas, more so then in Auz, being cold and cozy adds to this as well. Of course after awhile out in the FREEZING cold, even though I was wearing a million layers of wooly jumpers, we headed to a cafe for a few drinks.
We all braved the cold to go on a walking tour of Prague showing us some amazing sights, though so cold i needed to walk around and take photos and didn't listen to the poor lady much, also I am getting a little over listening to history, it's too much to take in over 6 months. BUT was amazing just to check out the sights. Prague is so beautiful with it's grand buildings and cathedrals, and colours of green, red and yellow.
| Love the streets of Prague |
| One of the main attractions, the Charles Bridge |
We had a night out on a river cruise through Prague for an amazing dinner of dumplings and EVERYTHING else you can think of including plenty of wine, then out on a pub crawl where tere was free shots for an hour, very dangerous.
| Showing up the guys drinkin' a beer |
The next day the guide took us on an alternative walking tour, being from Czech he knew some more quirky interesting places to visit. Though not many people were up for it as you can imagine, though I dragged my but out of bed for it and was glad I did.
| John Lennon wall |
| Babies designed to decorate the TV tower, these ones were left over, random! |
| Views from the highest point of Prague on a cable car. |
After a nap, we headed out for a Bunker tour! Learning all about how life would have been during an atomic bomb raid, there were bunkers set up not nearly half for of the population to seek shelter during an attack. The metro system here is also designed to act as a bunker, being extremely deep underground, you have to take steep escalators down to the station. There is food and bedding etc stored in the metro in case of emergency, also there are coffins stored there. During the 2002 floods apparently some of coffins were floating around the city making it feel very eery. Our guide was a barrel of laughs making the experience interesting, we were able to dress up in coats and masks etc which were very smelly.
After the Bunker tour we went for our traditional Czech dinner and show or opera singers and musicians. Continuous beer and wine meant bacon up was not an option. There was SO much food I hardly ate half of my meal FULL of meat and dumplings, such a waste.Prague was pretty cool and I would return there one day. Next morning up early to try and squash all my stuff in my bag! Starting to get a little ridiculous with me having to tie my toiletry bag and the boots I bought in a Berlin op shop to the outside of my bag, lunch for the day and handbag strapped to my day bag, then finally I have to carry my coats!!! Getting worried about fitting everything back on the way to Australia. Maybe I shouldn't have bought so much at the Berlin flee markets, BUT it was such an experience shopping there I don't regret it, and next winter I can say 'well I got this in...' etc etc etc.
On to AUSTRIA....





5 comments:
You must be freezing!! I can't imagine it! It looks so Christmassy too!
Got a bit of gear there Kez. How on earth did you get it in your take home to Australia bag?
I can't believe YOU lived with a backpack all those months! Looks like nothing more - even tiny - would fit though!
Hey - that last comment was MINE - Em must have been on this computer and her account was still opened!
Hey - that last comment was MINE - Em must have been on this computer and her account was still opened!
Post a Comment