'It was originally constructed as a small fortress in 889 and then largely ignored until its ruins were renovated and rebuilt in the mid 11th century by the Berber king Badis ben Habus of the Kingdom of Granada who built its current palace and walls, and later converted into a royal palace in 1333 by Yusuf I, Sultan of
Granada."
After not being able to get tickets online another Australian traveller and I got up at 6am to make it to the palace to try our luck at getting tickets, which ended up being easy enough though necessary to go so early with a huge line up of people with the same idea. Was really great to walk around and see the amazing carvings and detail which is all very well preserved.
| Water in the centre of the building was a sign of great wealth |
| Some pretty amazing carvings |
| Loving the European buildings etc so beautiful and different, definitely feel like I'm in Europe |
There is a big Arabic influence here as that is where Spain's origin is from, which is evident in the architecture, designs, churches that were old mosques. Theres a fare bit of history here with wars and old kings and who owned the city etc. I found out some interesting facts on a free walking tour around the city, the guide knew his stuff and was very passionate. Why do you think we walk on the left? Is was a protective thing at first as your sward was held in the right hand and when you passed a stranger in the street you were always ready to attack if necessary.
| The tour ended at this amazing market and view of the palace. A lot of hippy selling their own jewellery, I bought an anklet which made the owner so stoked |
3 comments:
Sounds absolutely fabulous Kez, enjoy!
Sounds like you are really soaking up the history and appreciating all that architecture.
I love all the carvings and tiles on that building!!!!!!
Post a Comment